
Christmas time is one of my ABSOLUTE favorite times of year -- I love decorating the house, being with family, getting presents for those I love, drinking hot chocolate and being bundled up in blankets...
It seems that during the Christmas season, people find it easier to look outside of themselves and help others. I wish people could be that happy usually, but at least I am thankful that it seems to be contagious during that time of the year. In a world that has increasingly materialized 'Christmas', Ryan and I have talked a lot about the traditions we would like to have in our home. Having not been raised to believe in Santa Claus myself I've wondered what things I want to teach my children and which ones I think I'd rather leave out. (Don't worry about my childhood -- I didn't and don't feel the least bit deprived from not having been into Santa... in fact, it was pretty funny when they'd have Santa come to Christmas parties etc and all the kids would sit on his lap and get a picture... I probably always wore a super skeptical face, like "hey, just because you're a fat jolly looking old guy doesn't mean I'm going to tell you anything". My parents just never bothered with that aspect of Christmas, and I have to say it's nice in one aspect that credit went to where it was due... I knew that my MOM was watching me so I better not pout and I could show gratitude to her and my siblings for the gifts I received)
Well, being a history major, I figured I might as well go back to the beginning (which historical tidbits are included under the Christmas tree entry) or at least the word definition. Cristes Maesses... Christ's mass. And, since I'm not Catholic, I'll translate that into my own terms -- a celebration of the sacrament. I think it's wonderful that we celebrate this holiday, even if we attend church weekly. Think about it: because Christ atoned for our sins, we can partake of the sacrament and renew our baptismal covenants with Him. We can be washed clean from our mistakes, because He gave His sinless life as a ransom for us. I'm really thankful for that. It truly is something to be merry about.
I really like Christmas carols and several German ones have been often on my mind of late. The translation of the last stanza in "Hark the Harold Angels Sing" is: "uns zur Freud ist er geboren, denn sonnst waeren wir verloren, er vertreibet alles weh, hosianna...bringt dem Vater lob und dank." That is essentially: "He was born so that we might have joy, because without Him we'd be lost. He can cast out all pain, hosianna... bring the Father praise and thanks." Another carol is "Ring Out Wild Bells", but again in German. It's last stanza says "allein in Jesus steht unser Glueck" which means only in Jesus can we find happiness. I know that to be true. I know that He was the Savior of the world and invites all to come to Him to have their burdens (whether that be trials, sickness, heartache or sin) lifted. I know He understands us... I want our Christmas traditions to put credit where credit is due: on Christ.
No comments:
Post a Comment