Ryan and I made a decision a while back to limit the movies we watch just to the good stuff. I had had my fill of "dirt cookies" (when a movie, song, or whatever is pretty good, with just a little bit of bad stuff sprinkles here and there. Dirt is mild. I had a mission companion that said poop. Nothing like that to make you rethink what you watch) So, for the most part, we only watch movies under PG-13, and there are many PGs that we don't watch (you have to be wary of the 80s). I've noticed it's helped us be more sensitive to themes.
It has been really nice for us, and it has helped us find movies we never would've found without being desperate to find something new at the public library. Here are some of our favorite movies, which we feel are family friendly, with good morals:
Random Harvest- with Greer Carson, a romance about second chances
It Happened One Night- with Clark Gable, about what real love us, versus marrying for money.
Holiday- with Cary Grant and Katherine Hepburn, again, real love versus marrying someone for money or something they are not.
Facing Giants- a movie about high school football
Fireproof- a movie about saving a marriage
Amazing Grace- about the man who wrote the song, and anti-slavery movements
Remember the Titans- high school football, civil rights movement
JEEVES AND WOOSTER- the whole series...we own it. British comedy, silly and fun.
Wodehouse Playhouse- same author as Wooster, they are short comedic movies, with great quotable lines.
What's Up Doc?- with Barbara Streisand, comedy.
There are the classics: Emma, Pride and Prejudice, The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, (For Halloween only: Wuthering Heights...also Arsenic and Old Lace with Cary Grant) Persuasion, Northanger Abby, North and South (about England, NOT with Patrick Swayze), Sense and Sensability, etc.
Then there are of course the Disneys and animation. Our favorites: Ratatouille, Bolt, The Incredibles, Finding Nemo, etc.
We've also found several movies by Hallmark which were surprisingly good.
We've been amazed at the fun you can find at the Public Library. Truly.
2 comments:
The Hallmark movies are amazing! My grandparents buy them and let us borrow them. My favorite one that we've seen so far is Front of the Class. It's about a man who's life ambition is to become a teacher despite having a severe case of turret syndrome. I highly recommend it if you guys ever get the chance.
I have the Hallmark "The Magic of Ordinary Days" if you haven't seen it and/or want to borrow it. I also have "The Monkees" and "Bewitched" episodes because they are fun and clean too. At least I like them. :)
Post a Comment