Monday, January 18, 2010

Home-made Tortillas



So, this is thanks to my sister Jenny -- Ryan and I really like this recipe:
2 c. flour (mix wheat or white)
2 T. oil
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
(mix together, it will feel sandy)
Add 3/4 c. warm water

Mix, and add a little more flour until kneadable. Knead and roll into balls. Let rest one hour and roll out. Heat on non-oiled griddle on medium high just till a teeny bit puffy.





Also, Amy is so much fun! She's been noisier than usual and has started saying 'no' (but it's "noy noy noy noy" when she's frustrated about something). Here's a pic of her in a dress I wore as a baby. I think she looks cuter in it than I did.

4 comments:

Jenny said...

She sure is getting big. She looks cute. I usually use hot water for the tortollas (close to boiling) and do 2 cups wheat and 1/2 cup white. A cast iron skillet seems to give best results too when it comes to cooking them. Yours look very nice by the way, I'm impressed with how circular and uniform they are.

Sarah said...

I have been wanting to try making tortillas and the recipes I find seem kind of intimidating. This one seems super-easy! I am excited to try it.

Amy is sure cute!

Val said...

Hey this has nothing to do with your post (other than the fact that I probably will try those tortillas) Anyway, I logged on to family search! Aren't your proud of me? Thanks for inviting me to your family history class. I'm learning a ton.

Anonymous said...

Oh man, that sounds like an awesome recipe! I love homemade tortillas! And Amy is so cute! How fun to have her in some of your old clothes!