Sunday, July 1, 2012

Stand fast in liberty... Happy 4th!

We had Lena Jan's baby blessing this Sunday, and it was very nice to have family and friends there with us. It was a beautiful blessing, and I am so grateful Ryan is worthy to exercise his priesthood and do that. She is such a joy in our lives, and Amy and Esther dote on her so much. We know it's a great blessing to be able to have children in this life, and hope that they can be patient with us with all our foibles as parents. Amy wanted to bear her testimony too, about prayer and how Heavenly Father helps her find things when she loses them (she's very good about praying for help), but when she got up there, she got a bit shell shocked and didn't know what to say.

I love the 4th of July. It's one of my favorite holidays, and I like thinking about what our founding fathers did for us, about the bravery displayed and the ideals expressed. I love the line in the declaration of Independence that men are "endowed with certain unalienable rights, namely life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

In the scriptures, there is a phrase that pops up occasionally -- the admonition that people should 'stand fast in that liberty wherewith God hath made them free' (Galatians 5:1, Alma 58:40; 61:21, Mosiah 23:13). I love that phrase. Ultimate liberty is only possible with God -- liberty from bad habits, sins, sorrows, frustrations, sickness... death. Too often we look elsewhere for help -- self-help books, blogs, etc... yet, all the while, God waits for us with open arms yearning to help us with our problems... to liberate us and have us find eternal life, liberty and true happiness.

I hope that I can remember to get on my knees and ask Him for help more often, and search the scriptures to learn more about Jesus, and find more strength to "stand fast in the liberty wherewith God hath made us free."

1 comment:

Steph said...

Congratulations on the blessing. Wish we could have been there!