Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Public Library

Ryan and I love to go to the Library. Not only does it serve as our Blockbuster, but it also helps us to continue learning. I have been checking out books on tape which have been very good, since I don't really get a chance to read unless Amy's sleeping -- and then there are so many other things to get done. In the last few weeks I've listened to Nixon and Mao: the week that changed the world, The Mayflower (which not only talks about the establishment of the Pilgrims at Plymouth, but about King Philip's war and many other Indian battles), and Nothing to Fear (which talks about the monumental changes during the first 100 days of FDR's first term in office).

It has sparked my interest in a variety of other topics. For one, I realized I know next to nothing about the history of China and have since checked out several books on Chinese history. I highly recommend "Oracle Bones" which is non-fiction, but reads like a novel. Browsing through the history isles always finds me new books - like one on Romania that I read last week. Did you know Romania has a turkey/pheasant type bird that can run faster than a horse on its legs? I also acquainted myself with the tragic history of some of Romania's leaders who severely starved the people whilst building massive palaces. I also learned the true story behind Count Dracula. It's not very pleasant -- being a blood sucking vampire is not as far from the truth as you'd wish.

I love the opportunity to learn new things, and the fact that it's free to check things out makes it even better. The more I learn, the more I realize there is SO much more to learn. I am glad I majored in history. Did you know FDR did too?

3 comments:

Steph said...

we (heart) the library too.

Kati said...

i love you go to the library too. We have a routine. First we go look at the fish....then we pick up a movie for Abbi then we grab a random book really quickly for mommy because Abbi is done being quiet and wants to run around. It is always fun to go. :)

Sarah said...

We are fans of the public library system as well. Have you guys been to the North Logan library?