
This is where Ryan and I grew up... four very pronounced seasons, a wonderful back yard to tromp about in and explore. I feel like having a yard is so important to growing up -- but so many of the houses I see for sale have the house built almost to the edges of the lot... we want the opposite: small house, big lot... space for our kids to run around.

I feel like part of the reason that my childhood was so magical and fun was because I spent a lot of unstructured time outside playing -- catching lizards and horny toads, gardener snakes (much to my Mom's horror... she hates snakes); building forts, climbing trees, hiking, and swimming in the river at the base of our canyon.

I love the smells the canyon had -- clean smells... smells you don't get living crowded next to other people or where there are lots of cars. I love the smell of dirt, and pine needles, and dried leaves; I love the sound of crickets chirping, and the chorus of birds in the morning during the summer. I loved seeing unique animals, like rubber boas, horny toads, bats, moose, mountain lions, bear, etc.

I love how white the snow is all winter long -- unlike here, where the snow soon turns black with the filth of car exhaust, the snow seemed to stay white and crystally throughout the winter. I absolutely loved growing up in this canyon and am so glad Ryan did too -- we often talk about different trails we hiked or things we did in the canyon. Now it's our dream to find ourselves a spot of land where we can try to recreate something of this type of space... even if it doesn't have mountains or end up being as big as our back yard.
2 comments:
That's what we want too. We would like a smaller house with a big yard, and it would be great to be near the great outdoors. Than loved that about growing up in Wisconsin and Kentucky.
Me too!
Post a Comment