Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Naps and Messing with a Good Thing


Well...Amy must've been somewhat sleep deprived, because after three days of struggle trying to get her to nap during the day, she slept almost ALL of saturday except for feedings. Odd.

But, sometimes now I wonder if I messed with a good thing. Yesterday, she'd sleep for an hour, get up, eat, play for an hour and sleep for an hour. She did that most of the day, till Ryan came home and then she was SUPER cranky. Don't know why. Since she was changed and fed etc, we let her have some exercise, but it's hard for me sometimes not to feel that I ruined my perfect baby. Not that she's not precious now, but I admit, I miss her being happy and awake all day until evening and sleeping all through the night. She doesn't now. She gets up at 3:am usually, but sometimes as early as 2:am.

So, I thought, maybe I can go back -- maybe if I just read her signs of being tired and only put her down then, she won't be tired until evening. Nope. I switch between thinking it's my fault for trying to change her, and then thinking it's the book's fault. Well, I'm done pointing fingers... I figure I'm into it enough now, I guess I'll just have to see it through until she decides to have a routine and be happy for most of the time again.



There are highlights amid the fussiness and crying, there really are. For example, yesterday she was content to be in the swing and blow bubbles. She also smiles at he sun in the playpen thing that makes music...that's cute.

2 comments:

Jill said...

:) I've been here. Often.
It's not you. It's not the book. It's just life. And a baby. Babies always seem to change and shake up life when we think we've got their system down. Heck, I still do it to my parents.
Just figure out what you want to do and do it - whether it's you or the book or your next door neighbor's advice. You will know and doing it - consistently - will make the difference. I think we use a mix of six different systems for RJ and change up about two or three of those to fit Ari's needs.
It's hard and it feels like you're doing something wrong but you're not. I PROMISE!!!! God gave Amy to you because only YOU know how to be her mother. Nobody else. Not me. Not the author of any book. Not your parents or your friends. YOU. And you are and will continue to do a beautiful job as her mother. :D

Megan said...

I don't know if this is weird or totally irrelevant, but I read about a thing called "Dream Feeding". NOT a trendy baby program. I don't know if everyone knows this and I'm the naive-no-kids-yet or what... but the idea is to feed your baby while their asleep. That way they get full w/o being woken up. I think it's a pretty good idea. Email me if you'd like the link.
I think you're doing great.