Sunday, May 9, 2010

Motherhood, and Traits I Admire in Some other Mothers

I've learned some neat things since becoming a mother -- first, that God has given me a far greater capacity for patience, love, and joy,
second, that He's made my stomach stronger (I almost threw-up on my nephew when I changed his diapers when Jenny had Belle, but with Amy I've dealt with spit-up, throw-up, boogers, earwax, attempts at giving me her reject food, poop blow-outs and recently being handed a handful, literally... I'll not say more unless you ask me)
I never knew motherhood would form or rediscover so many muscles, stretch my capacity so much and make me laugh so hard...
Recently, Ryan taught Amy to fake laugh -- and LOUD. It has us in stitches when she does it. She's constantly doing new things which just make me shake my head and giggle. I found Amy sitting in the toy bin... as you can see, it's not very big... but if that wasn't enough she was trying to stuff in all the toys she could reach. What a nut! How I love her!!
I am so grateful God has blessed me to experience motherhood in this life, and I'm also very grateful that all women who come unto Him will have that experience, whether in this life or the next. Children really are an heritage of the Lord, and Ryan and I do hope to have a 'quiver full of them'. Amy has been a delight and joy!!

I have had wonderful examples of Motherhood in my life, and I want to point out some qualities of just a few which have been very influential and inspiring to me:

my own Mom -- for being an example of charity to others. I often went with her taking home-made bread to people around our neighborhood -- she knows how to listen and talk to people and make them feel appreciated, and for being so easy-going

my mother-in-law -- for loving and raising her own family in addition to caring for others with special needs, for stretching a buck farther than anyone I know, for knowing how to do so many things (being my guru for house-keeping questions) for raising such a wonderful son. :)

Constance -- for teaching her child and many other 'adopted' children like me to believe in themselves and making them feel loved and cherished, for being one of the very best hostesses and arbitrators I've ever known

my Aunt Jan -- for being so faithful and uncomplaining, no matter what life throws. Her positive attitude, and example has blessed my life often.

my Grandmothers and Ryan's Grandmothers -- for loving their children more than themselves, sacrificing so much for them. And to Maxine: for raising 13 children with testimonies of the restored gospel and Jesus Christ; and for remembering the names of so many grand- and great-grand children.

I hope I can become a mother like many of these amazing women who have influenced and inspired me. Thank you for all you've done and do!!

No comments: